Formica Corporation has revealed the winners of the 2023 FORM Student Innovation Competition. Now in its sixth year, the competition encourages interior design, architecture and furniture design students from the United States, Canada and Mexico to design furniture pieces using Formica Brand products.
Participants were charged to interpret this year’s theme of maximalism, incorporating at least one pattern from the SurfaceSet 2022 collection by Formica Corporation in their designs. In the 150 submissions from 31 universities that were assessed by a panel of esteemed industry experts, participants employed their creative prowess in defining maximalism, which could manifest as furniture featuring multiple patterns, distinctive architectural forms or vivid, eye-catching colors.
The top three winning students receive cash prizes, and the grand prize winner saw their design come to life at NeoCon 2023.Tom-Eliott Monette from Cégep Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu in Quebec, Canada, is the grand prizewinner for his entry "Voluta." This furniture piece showcases a combination of harmonious curves and vivid colors, embodying the essence of maximalist design. Crafted from high-quality laminate, Voluta offers a stylish solution for storing and enjoying vinyl records.
• Brooke Hebner from Georgian College
• Jean Bachura from Ringling College of Art and Design
• Constance Chu from New Jersey Institute of Technology
• Carlos Eduardo Miranda Cossío from ISAD - Instituto Superior de Arquitectura y Diseño
• Shellsea Coe from Ringling College of Art and Design
• Nho Phuc (Kap) Nguyen from Dawson College
• Eaman Kaddour from New Jersey Institute of Technology
• Iran Rodriguez Saenz from ISAD - Instituto Superior de Arquitectura y Diseño
For more information about the winning students’ designs, please visit www.formica.com/studentcompetition.
The 2024 competition will open in September.